History

The company began in 1926 as a house-building company, TM Taylor and Sons Ltd that expanded into sawmilling and bridge building.

The company eventually changed its name to White Cliffs Sawmilling Ltd, in reference to a small logging area in the King Country and, through the years, the sons of the original owner – Thomas Taylor – took over the operations. The eldest, Jack, took control of the sawmills; the youngest, David, took control of logging; and when the middle son, James, returned from World War II, he began work for his father at Astley Avenue, New Lynn.

James Taylor supervised the New Lynn operations until early 1950, at which point he took over all the Taylor family operations. Today, James’s son Bill operates the White Cliffs Timber group with the help of other family members. His brother, David, is Forestry Manager in the Far North District, and son, Andrew, is one of the company’s export/import managers, based at Astley Avenue.

The Taylor family welcomes you. White Cliffs Timber brings to its customers the time-honoured values of good customer service and thorough product knowledge, along with the benefits of modern communications and global markets.

1. Taylor's sawmill, Astley Avenue Photographer: John Thomas Diamond, 1959. Auckland Libraries West Auckland Research Centre. J. T. Diamond Collection, JTD-11L-01585

Taylor’s sawmill, Astley Avenue
Photographer: John Thomas Diamond, 1959. Auckland Libraries West Auckland Research Centre. J. T. Diamond Collection, JTD-11L-01585

White Cliffs saw mill, to Portage Road Photographer: John Thomas Diamond, 1972. Auckland Libraries West Auckland Research Centre. J. T. Diamond Collection, JTD-11L-04602-1

White Cliffs saw mill, to Portage Road
Photographer: John Thomas Diamond, 1972. Auckland Libraries West Auckland Research Centre. J. T. Diamond Collection, JTD-11L-04602-1

White Cliffs saw mill, from Portage Road Photographer: John Thomas Diamond, 1972. Auckland Libraries West Auckland Research Centre. J. T. Diamond Collection, JTD-11L-04602-2

White Cliffs saw mill, from Portage Road
Photographer: John Thomas Diamond, 1972. Auckland Libraries West Auckland Research Centre. J. T. Diamond Collection, JTD-11L-04602-2